This is an interesting question for everyone- How is it possible for a person to be left-handed? The medicine cannot give a particular reason, however according to some studies it happens due to the connection between the genes and environment.
When it comes to the genes there aren’t some particular sets of genes for lefties, this just means that in the family of a left-handed person most of the members of the family are lefties. Also, some studies have shown contrasting brain wirings between right-handed and left-handed people.
Furthermore, it is worth mentioning that lefties are much more independent that righties and the reason for that is the nonstop adjustments of the lefties in a world full with right-handed people.
The following are the never heard before 23 facts about lefties!
Possibly this is the best time to find out some new, interesting facts about them.
1. Only 5 to 10 percent of the world population is left-handed.
2. Lefties are in a bigger danger, we can even say in three times bigger danger of becoming alcoholics.
3. In baseball, swimming, boxing, tennis and in many other sports lefties show extremely good qualities.
4. More than 40 percent of the world’s best tennis players are lefties.
5. Lefties most of the time use their right side of the brain. Also, very interesting is that lefties enter in puberty much later, some 5 months after the normal period.
6. Left-handed college graduates are with better chances of having a lot of money in contrast to the righties. They have 26 % bigger chances for that.
7. In the United States of America 4 of 7 presidents have been lefties.
8. “Lyft” is a word from Anglo-Saxon origin which means something broken or weak. So, the word left comes from Anglo-Saxon “Lyft”.
9. In the past, people who were left-handed were considered as bad people, also this type was viewed as a symptom of rebellion, neurosis, the people were seen as devils, this was seen as an expression of some ugly habits, criminality and homosexuality. Furthermore, this was also seen as a characteristic in expressing musical abilities and creativity.
10. It was mentioned above that 5 to 10 percent from the people around the world are left-handed. On the other hand, the percent for creatures like cats, mice and rats, is divided identical between lefties and righties.
11. If a woman gets pregnant in her 40s she has 128 % bigger possibilities of having a baby who will be a lefty in contrast to women who get pregnant in their 20s.
12. Also, a fact that is worth to mention is that of 4 Apollo astronauts, 1 of them always had the left hand as a dominant one.
13. Some researches, have shown that right-handed people have good verbal skills, while the lefties are very good in math, spatial awareness and architecture.
14. Lefties should be more careful when it comes to diseases like asthma and allergies, because another research showed that they are in a bigger danger of suffering from this issues than right-handed people are.
15. Approximately 30 million people in America are left-handed, according to one study that was made.
16. Can you believe that lefties have their own special day called Left-Handers Day? This is the day when they celebrate the fact that they are left-handed. This special day is celebrated on August 13th.
17. Lefties are fast learners and they can learn how to use their right hand without any problem, if their dominant hand is broken, twisted or something else happened. They can learn how to use their right hand even faster than those people who have the right hand as a dominant one. This is a fact expressed by several medical experts.
18. From insomnia suffer much more left-handed people than right-handed ones.
19. Dresses, tesserae decades and sweater are one of the longest words that we can write by using only our left hand, pretty interesting fact right?
20. Some members of The British Royal Family are left-handed. For example, Queen Mother, Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Charles and Prince William are all left-handed.
21. Lefties are better in viewing underwater opposed to righties.
22. Osama Bin Laden., Jack the Ripper and The Boston Strangler were just some of the most searched serial killers and guess what, they were all left-handed.
23. Left-handers understand emotions completely different from right-handed people. Lefties can become distressed quicker than righties. For example, John McEnroe is one of the biggest legends in tennis and on court he was a perfect example of this situation, since people had the chance to see him get angry all the time.