Usually the ketchup is given like a free ride while consuming the unhealthiest foods on the planet. But the ketchup is viewed like a harmless because we just eat small quantities of the ketchup. So, because we eat just a little ketchup, it means that there aren’t negative effects, right? No, wrong.
The condiments, just like the ketchup, are able to make the food taste better – burgers, French fries, hot dogs… – but they can become a problem too. It doesn’t matter if you are eating a nutritious meal, the ketchup is able to turn your food into a metabolic nightmare, even if you consume only 1 tablespoon of ketchup.
Why the ketchup is bad?
If you take a look at the ingredients on the label on the bottle of ketchup, you will generally read these:
- Tomato concentrate
- High fructose corn syrup
- Corn syrup
- Onion powder
Aside from the onion powder and vinegar, there are many things wrong with these ingredients:
- Tomato Concentrate: the tomatoes are good for your health, but if the tomatoes are exposed to a high heat for a few hours and then cooked many times without the skin and the seeds, their minerals and vitamins will disappear.
- High Fructose Corn Syrup or HFCS: the HFCS can be summarized in just one word – sugar. The fructose is a kind of sugar that is bad for the health, but it is found everywhere. But why is it bad? Well, it’s one of the main reasons of obesity and type 2 diabetes.
- Corn Syrup: the corn syrup is the same like the high fructose corn syrup.
- Salt: maybe you know that too much salt is not good for our health because it can cause issues with your blood pressure, and many other health problems.
- Spices and natural flavors: the spices are not so bad and also the natural flavors. What are they? Most of the ketchup brands don’t tell what is in their product.
The negative things about the ketchup don’t stop here. 70% to 85% of the corn is genetically modified, and that means that they have been treated with chemicals and pesticides. But what does the corn have to do with the ketchup? Maybe it is surprising for you to learn that minimum 5 ingredients in the ketchup are made with or from corn, including tomato concentrate, HCFS, vinegar and corn syrup.
While the ketchup might not be totally evil, especially if you do not consume that much, you should take care about the portion control. 1 of 2 packets of ketchup are enough, because adding ketchup can make you to consume more than you should.