At a glance
- For the time being, almost 5.4 million Americans have Alzheimer. By 2050, this will jump to 16 million and in the next 2 decades one of four will have it
- Smell ability is linked to first cranial nerve and is first sense that declines
- To smell peanut butter with left nostril is impaired.
- Mild and moderate cases are enrolled in study to see the effects of coconut and placebo. In a year results will follow
- Ketone bodies are fuel for the brain when we digest coconut, this heals and fights Alzheimer.
For now, 5.4 million Americans have this, stated Alzheimer association in 2011, Alzheimer disease facts and figures.
By 2050 this will be 16 million and in next 20 years, 1 of 4 will have this.
Treatments are effective rarely and preventing this is vital.
Even spoon of PB and a ruler can make a diagnosis for early stages. Medical News Today claimed that Jennifer Stamps, Florida university student, of McKnight Brain institute center for smell and taste and other colleagues, claimed facts for a small pilot in Journal for neurological sciences.
She had the idea of using PB for smell test as she worked with Dr. Kenneth Heilman the best behavioural neurologist of UF College for medicine.
Smell ability is linked to first cranial nerve and is first to decline. She used PB since this is pure odor detected by olfactory nerve, accessed easy.
The pilot testes smell ability in 24 Alzheimer patients. For these, they had to close eyes and mouth and have one nostril closed. With a ruler, the expert measured distance between nostril and PB, marked the digit and after 90 delay seconds, this was repeated with the other nostril.
They said early stages of Alzheimer had differences in smells between nostrils. The left was more impaired and had no smell until 10 cm or closer than the right one.
This was not the same for dementia people, they had no difference in nostrils.
It is early to say if this test is reliable. Stamps said this can be a path to diagnosis.
Coconut oil benefits makes headlines
Florida experts also said coconut helps in this disease. 3 years ago was published the Mary Newport story for ketone bodies and that they are a brain fuel, made only with digesting coconut oil.
This story, if accurate, can be the best health news there is. Newport launched the biggest trial to test this. This was done at USF health byrd Alzheimer institute.
65 patients had mild and moderate Alzheimer and were enrolled to see the coconut effects and placebos. Results will follow this year.
This is close to home for Newport, her husband was battling this for years. CTV news said there is still no data for coconut benefits and prevention to dementia. Her husband Steve got Alzheimer at 51 and she said he got better after she gave him 4 tsp coconut daily.
Her husband started reading again, he spoke better and even got memory back too. Before the coconut, not one med worked.
Coconut is ideal brain fuel and food
2 fuel types are changed into energy, fats and carbs or sugars. Ketones are what we make when we convert fat in energy. As source of ketones are medium chain fats in coconut. Coconut is 66% MCTs.
The MCTs are unprocessed fats inside us same as long chain fats. Fat inside us must have bile too from gallbladder before is digested.
Medium chain fats go straight to the liver and turn to ketones skipping the bile. Liver then releases ketones in blood and they go to the brain to be fuel.
The brain runs on glucose, but ketones restore neurons and nerves even after damages. The mechanism of MCT metabolism is basically the body treating MCT like carb and not fat. This lets ketone energy hit the blood with no insulin spike linked to carbs entering the blood. So, coconut fat acts like carb for brain.
How much coconut we need
Medicinal levels of MCT were studied with 20 g daily. Newport said over 2 spoons coconut is enough for 20 g MCT, indicted as prevention against neurological issues or cure already.
More research needs to be done and there is no reason to skip coconut. Coconut is healthy and not harmful.
People tolerate this differently, so start slow. Start with 1 tsp in mornings. Slowly add coconut until you reach 4 big spoons. Take this with food.
Low fat crazes increase rates of Alzheimer
Many flawed guidelines made few problems in USA. Low fat craze is the top worst. It skips healthy fats, makes heart issues and even Alzheimer.
Neurologist, David Perlmutter said avoiding fat and carbs excess is the core of this disease. This can be prevented with healthy diet, in his book, Grain Brain, he gives arguments for removal of grains to keep brain healthy. Another factor is more eating of GE grains. Sadly, despite the need, there is little invested in research for regular foods. Amanda Smith, Medical director of South Florida University for health byrd Alzheimer institute claimed for CTV news that the pharma companies make money and they care for people but a bit more for money, so they invest in patents rather than cures.
Fasting can also make ketones
There are two more ways to increase ketones: limit carbs and fast. All 3 ways are good together, so replace carbs with healthy fats and coconut. Fasting helps you burn fat as fuel. You need 6-8 hours to metabolize glycogen and then you start to burn fat and produce ketones.
Contrary to some fasts, intermittent fasting is timing the meals to get in fat burning window. Length of the fast needs to be 16 hours at LEAST! Eat between 11 am and 7 pm, or noon and next 8 pm. Restrict even to 6, 4 or 2 hours but reap benefits with this fasting by limiting at least 8 hours daily.
I advise you to use this schedule. Skip eating 3 hours before bed and then extend time slowly before breakfast to the point when you skip breakfast and start with lunch. To accustom, you need weeks or months. Do not do this all the time since the body is in fat burning modes. You will feel less like eating so no need to eat like before.
Tips for healthy brain and prevention of Alzheimer
Know this can be prevented based on lifestyle. Diet is vital for all chronic problems even Alzheimer.
Those who have low decline in cognition were found to have no lesions in brain, so you can prevent damage.
- Avoid sugars and fructose – keep sugar at minimum and fructose less than 25 g daily or 15 g daily if you have insulin issues.
- Avoid wheat and gluten. Blood and brain barrier keeps things out of brain and is bad influenced by gluten. Gluten also makes gut permeable and lets proteins inside bloodstream, which is bad. This damages immunity and makes inflammation, both creating Alzheimer.
- Optimize gut flora- eat fermented foods and probiotic supplements
- Have healthy fats and omega 3 of animals- the brain needs butter milk, organic butter, olives, olive oil, pecans, macadamia, eggs, salmon and avocado.
Ideal fuel for brain is never glucose but ketones. Ketones are made when we convert fat into energy and MCTs in coconut are great ketones, since coconut is 66% MCT. Ketones are best brain food for Alzheimer. Also get animal proteins and animal omega 3s like krill oil. Avoid most fish since they have mercury too. Excess omega 3 EPA and DHA prevents cell damage from Alzheimer so it slows progression and lowers the risk.
- Reduce overall calories and fast- as we said, ketones are moved when you have coconut instead carbs. One day fast resets you and burns fat instead of sugar.
- Also fast at least 8 hours or more each day.
- Have more magnesium. Alzheimer is hindered with more Mg in brain. Sadly, most Mg supplements never pass the blood and brain levels, but mg threonate is best.
- Have more D vitamin and safe sun exposure. There is link between D and Alzheimer. Optimal D levels enhance chemicals in brain and keep brain cells healthy. D also exerts good effects for this case since it removes inflammation and boosts immunity. D is vital for healthy immunity and no inflammation.
- Fasting insulin below 3- this is linked to fructose and leads to insulin resistance. Other sugars, grains and no workouts are factors too. Lower insulin and lower leptin levels.
- Have folate foods- veggies are the best folate source.
- Avoid mercury of food- dental amalgams are 50% mercury and are heavy metal toxins. Be healthy before you remove them. Once you adjust, follow the mercury detox and get a biological dentist.
- No aluminum- no antiperspirants, non stick cookware and vaccine adjuvants too.
- Workout- workout triggers change in amyloid precursor proteins and slows this problem. Also you will increase protein PGC-1 alpha. Also Alzheimer people have less PGC 1 alpha in brains and protein cells make less toxins for this disease. I recommend to see peak fitness technique.
- Avoid flu vaccines- they have mercury a neurotoxin agent.
- Blueberries- they have anthocyanin and antioxidants that guard you from neuro damage.
- Challenge the mind- learn something, language, instruments, or debate. Mental challenges build the brain
- Avoid anticholingerics and statins- drugs with acetylcholine, neurotransmitter increase dementia risk. Such drugs are painkillers, antihistamines, sedatives, antidepressants, incontinence drugs and narcotics. Statins are the worst since they suppress cholesterol synthesis, deplete brain of Q10 and prevent delivery of fats and antioxidants by inhibiting biomolecules like low dense lipoprotein.
Other natural cures for Alzheimer
Change lifestyle, but also have diet changes too.
- Astaxanthin– natural pigment with clinical benefits. T is the best antioxidant there is. Fat soluble this crosses blood brain barrier easy. It helps in neuro health and is best brain food. This item neutralizes free radicals and is unique molecule with shape that fits a membrane and width. It prevents molecule damage. Take krill oil for omega 3 fats, and add it as supplement. Take krill oil and fatty meal.
- Ginko biloba– studies said this is amazing. It is native of Asia and was used in China in the past. A 1997 study of JAMA said ginko makes good cognition. A study of 2006 said ginko is better than dementia drug Aricept for moderate Alzheimer. A 2010 study said ginko prevents dementia too
- Alpha lipoic acid – ALA stabilizes cognition and slows this down.
- B12– a Finnish study in journal Neurology said people who ate B12 foods have less Alzheimer risk. For each increase of B12, Alzheimer risk was reduced by 2%. Sublingual methylcobalamin is the best here.
Article and image source: articles.mercola.com